Skip to Main Content

Architectural History of SRU

Exhibit of a history of the buildings on SRU campus.

Slippery Rock University in the 1990s

As Slippery Rock University approached the twenty-first century, the campus expanded once more. Upgrades and new construction across campus continued to ensure a quality education for Slippery Rock students in the new century.

Russell Wright Alumni House

During Homecoming on October 3, 1998, the Alumni House opened its doors and fulfilled the Alumni Association’s dream of having a “home on campus.” While many alumni contributed to the construction of the Alumni House, Dr. Russell Wright, Class of 1923, went above and beyond with a generous donation of $100,000. The university named the building in his honor.

(Photograph, color, c. 2011)


Rock Apartments

The Rock Apartments campus apartment complex was built in 1998 by W.T.W. Architects to provide students with an apartment-style option for on-campus living. With their non-dorm-like design, the apartments help students to prepare for the challenges of renting and caring for an apartment after graduation.

(Photograph, color, c. 2011)

President Robert N. Aebersold

Dr. Robert N. Aebersold served Slippery Rock for over 30 years as a professor of Physical Education, athletic coach, provost, and president. The Aebersold Recreation Center (ARC) was dedicated to Dr. Aebersold for his service to the University.

(Photograph, color, c.1980s)


Robert N. Aebersold Student Recreation Center (the ARC)

Built in 1999 and designed by Renaissance Design Group, the student recreation center measures 5,000 square feet. Nicknamed the ARC, the Robert N. Aebersold Student Recreation Center has five gymnasia and a swimming pool. It is also home of the Russell Wright Fitness Center which was formerly located in the East Gym.

(Photograph, color, c. 2000)