T: Time it takes to demonstrate an outcome
Examples on how to formulate various PICOT questions
DIAGNOSIS OR DIAGNOSTIC TEST
- Are/is (I) more accurate in diagnosing (P) compared with (C) for (O)?
- Are (P) who have (I) at increased/decreased risk for/of (O) compared with (P) with/without (C) over (T)?
- In (P), what is the effect of (I) on (O) compared with (C) within (T)?
- How do (P) diagnosed with (I) perceive (O) during (T)?
- For (P) does the use of (I) reduce the future risk of (O) compared with (C)?
- Does (I) influence (O) in patients who have (P) over (T)?
From: Melnyk, B. M., & Fineout-Overholt, E. (2011). Evidence-based practice in nursing & healthcare: A guide to best practice. Wolters Kluwer